Today I hosted some friends at my house for a Creative Saturday!
On the menu was this yummy Potato Broccoli Soup.
This recipe is great as it can be made entirely on the stove (quickly), or you can use your crock pot.
2 (10.5 oz) cans of cream of chicken soup
1 8oz package of light cream cheese
7 cups of milk (I used skim)
1 32 oz package of frozen southern style hash brown potatoes
1 10 oz package of frozen broccoli florets
2 Tablespoons butter
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 Tablespoon dried minced onion
Crock pot & crock pot liner
Serve with bacon bits, shredded cheddar cheese and crackers or a french baguette.
1) In a medium sauce pan on stove, medium heat, whisk together chicken soup and cream cheese while adding milk one cup at a time up to 4 cups.
- add salt, pepper, & garlic powder
- set aside
2) In lined crock pot, add potatoes & minced onion (I like to slightly thaw my potatoes by either leaving in fridge overnight, or popping in the microwave - or both)
3) Microwave broccoli florets for 3-4 minutes. Place florets on cutting board and chop into smaller pieces. Add to crock pot
4) Pour soup mixture from step one into crock pot and remaining milk and stir
5) Heat on low for 2-3 hours (until cooked through)
6) Serve with bacon bits, shredded cheese and crackers or bread.
If you want to speed up the process, cook the entire soup in a large pan on stove until heated through, then simmer for 15-20 minutes and serve.